Hot water heaters work nonstop around our everyday lives – showers, cleaning, cooking, and more. Oftentimes, we pay no mind to it… that is until we experience cold water in the shower or during other common household heating emergencies.
To avoid complications down the road, it is important to perform regular cleaning and maintenance. Our professional team at Spicer Energy Services can help you assess the situation and provide advice in choosing the best option for you.
Common Water Heater Issues
There are several common water heater issues that can occur throughout its life expectancy. When experiencing these issues, you’ll have to consider whether to repair the water heater or get a new one installed.
One important factor to consider in these situations is the age of your hot water heater. On average, a water heater can last between 8 to 12 years. If you’re experiencing issues with an older water heater, replacing it with a new one could save you time, money, and unnecessary stress.
Some of the most common issues include:
- Irregular Water Temperatures: A water heater should provide consistent hot water temperatures, so if you notice your water coming out lukewarm or cold, this is a good indication that something is wrong. There are many reasons why this could happen, including age and the buildup of mineral deposits. It is best to contact a professional who can best assess the reason behind your fluctuating temperatures.
- Water Discoloration: If your water is coming out of the faucet with a brownish or rusty tint or containing dark particles, it is due to your water heater. This can be a serious health hazard, and you’ll want to find a hot water heater repair company in CT as soon as possible.
- Corrosion: This damage is often a sign that your tank needs to be replaced. It could be on the outside or inside of the tank, which is often why water comes out discolored. Replacing certain rusty elements can improve the situation, but it is usually just a band-aid that delays the need for replacement.
- Hot Water Running Out: A water heater is designed to keep gallons of water hot and ready for use. It is composed of heating elements that are placed both on the top and bottom of the heater. If you are running out of hot water, this can be a sign that one of your elements isn’t working.
- Alarming Noises: As your water heater ages, you may notice mild buzzing or rumbling sounds, which are typically normal. But, if it starts to make loud banging, cracking, or popping noises, this is much more concerning. The cause of these noises could be too many mineral deposits, a broken dip tube, or a weakened structure, which could lead to leaking. In this case, it is important to have any loud or unfamiliar noises evaluated.
- Leaks: Any leaking from your water heater can be dangerous, especially if you have children, pets, or electrical appliances nearby. Leaks can also cause corrosion, and in most cases, a replacement is necessary. A professional can help you decide if repair is a viable option.
Emergency Hot Water Heater Repair
Even though your water heater will often give you warning signs that something isn’t working properly, this isn’t always the case. Emergencies happen, and when they do, you’ll want to know who to turn to. Your hot water heater is necessary for day-to-day life, so if you’re facing an emergency, please call 860-859-9070.
Find a Professional You Can Trust
When it comes to any issues concerning your water heater system, a professional is your best bet for accurate diagnosis and repair. You’ll want to work with an experienced company that will listen to your needs and provide the best services possible. At Spicer Energy Services, we specialize in hot water heater installation in CT as well as repair. No matter what the job entails, we can help. Contact us today with any questions or concerns.